Every drop of rain this week, has increased the frustration levels of Randwick racecourse manager Michael Wood, but he is hoping the weather forecast will finally be right on Friday.
It was expected to be a wet week, but no forecast predicted the 100mm of rain recorded at Randwick, leaving the track rated heavy.
We’ve had more rain than expected at Randwick! 🌧️
What track rating will we have for Saturday? 🤔 https://t.co/FbSbWMPbBf
— TAB (@tabcomau) October 14, 2026
“There is nothing we can do about,” Wood said. “We were expecting rain this week and planned for it, but we have got twice as much as expected, the forecasts haven’t been close.
“The track is handling it as good as it can, but when you get 100mm it is still going to be very soft come Saturday.
“They are saying the sun will come out tomorrow and we will get wind, which will help the track and if that happens, we will be able to get out and mow it.
“As I said, we are in the lap of the weather gods, and they haven’t been on our side this week.”
Defending champion Ka Ying Rising has been $1.30 to $1.50 since Monday, with bookmakers prepared to take him on given the wet conditions.
“I think he will handle it, I bought him off a trial in New Zealand on a wet track, but we will have to wait and see what the track is on Saturday,” Ka Ying Rising trainer David Hayes said. “If it gets to a soft rating I’ll be more happy than if it’s heavy.”
She’s wet again, 5.8mm since 9am this morning, with a similar forecast for the next two days.
hmmmm. 🤔 @betsy_com_au https://t.co/OrObjPCbX3
— Dean Watling (@deanwatling) October 14, 2026
![Randwick race course [Bradley Photos]](https://betsy.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2025/09/Randwick-750x499.jpg)



